June 15, 2013

Possibility of Switching to MCProHosting

Hi everyone. It's been a while since the last post but here is a new one!

I was considering switching to a server host. The 2 best hosts I found were BeastNode and MCProHosting. I have made a compare and contrast list of both hosts. Some of it uses basic math and the costs/slots use some algebra with linear functions. If you don't know how to do it, sorry. Check beastnode.com and mcprohosting.com for more information.

Costs represented by a linear function f(ram in GB) = cost in USD ($)
BeastNode: f(ram)=(14.644 * ram) + 0.7022
****MCProHosting: f(ram)=(14.2877 * ram) - 3.8548
Notice that MCProHosting is cheaper because it has a smaller slope and smaller y-intercept.

Slots (MCProHosting represented as f(ram in GB) = maximum slots)
BeastNode: Unlimited but a suggested amount is given.
MCProHosting: f(ram)=(17.6825 * x) + 2.4025 or $2/month for unlimited.
MCProHosting provides a decent amount anyway. I wouldn't host more than 16 players per gigabyte of RAM. f(1)=20 (actually 23) and f(2)=38 (approximate)

Processors
BeastNode: Intel Xeon
MCProHosting: Xeon dual-core
Both are pretty good. I have no concerns with either processor.

Connection
BeastNode: 1gbps network with unlimited bandwidth
MCProHosting: 50gbps network and unlimited bandwidth
IDC about the network much. Both are way more than necessary. My home internet is about 1/40th the speed of the BeastNode 1gbps network and we're still fine.

Control Panel
Both provide Multicraft control panel.

Mods
Both have support for CraftBukkit and more. (We only need CraftBukkit)

Dedicated IP
****BeastNode: Provided free with default port at purchase
MCProHosting: Not provided by default but they have it for $5 per month
I honestly don't mind a non-dedicated IP. They provide as many ports as we need so no concern for not having a port for dynmap and a port for SimpleWebServer, etc.

FTP access
Both hosts provide full FTP file access with the Multicraft control panel

Storage
BeastNode: 5GB SSD (can give up to 10GB for free) After than they charge $1.25 per gigabyte per month
MCProHosting: Unlimited SSD space

MySQL
Both hosts provide a free MySQL server (I don't think we need it (at least not yet) but just incase)

Uptime
Both hosts say 99.99% uptime (meaning the server will rarely be down).

As far as I see, MCProHosting will be a better choice. I don't mind hosting a server without a dedicated IP. Also, the storage is an issue. The server currently uses about 11GB and that will continue to grow. BeastNode charges a lot for it, but MCProHosting gives unlimited. The biggest problem of all (at least for me :P) is money. I'm only 14 and I don't have any money to pay for the server. I don't have a way to earn it. I would use Google AdSense and some other stuff but you have to be 18 for it ): MCProHosting is cheaper so that's good. They provide everything I think will be good (with the exception of a dedicated IP but I don't mind that). Hopefully, I can earn money to pay for it but until then, it looks like MineCore stays on my computer. At least soon I might be getting Verizon FIOS Quantum internet. It's faster and will help with sending more data to players faster. I'm also working on some way to protect from being DDoS attacked. It hasn't happened yet but I'm not convinced that it will never happen. I put up a poll on the page so you can vote on what you think. Cya all :)

P.S. Don't worry about the IP changing. After switching, I would host a temporary server at the same IP on my home computer. You'd spawn in a bedrock room where you can't build and there will be signs that tell you the IP changed and we've switched to a host.